South Road works kick off soon
Construction on a series of upgrades along South Road will begin in November.
Negri Contractors has been selected to complete the project, which will include works at five key intersections:
- construction of a new citybound right turn lane on South Road to improve access to Nepean Highway
- modifying the South Road, Jasper Road and Taylor Street intersection to improve traffic flow and safety
- installing a signalised pedestrian crossing at Tucker Road
- new right turn lane from South Road to East Boundary Road, with improvements to the left turn slip lanes and pedestrian crossings at the intersection
- install traffic lights at the Bignell Road intersection, including new pedestrian crossings to improve traffic flow and safety.
The project is jointly funded by the State and Federal governments.
You can sign up for updates here: https://roadprojects.vic.gov.au/projects/south-road-upgrade
Quotes attributable to Member for Bentleigh Nick Staikos MP
“I’ve lived in the local area my entire life and have watched South Road get busier and busier – it now carries around 40,000 vehicles each day!”
“That’s why we announced this project back in 2018 and I am delighted that it is about to start,”
“This project will help ease bottlenecks and improve safety,”
“This is one of a number of road safety projects about to start in the Bentleigh electorate, and I am always keen to hear ideas from locals about further improvements. Just get in touch.”