Southland Station – Update
It has been a busy time for the Southland Station project with significant works carried out in recent months. The project team completed the final full-weekend rail shut down in April, where crews installed coping stones on the city-bound platform and commissioned new underground cables. Relocating the cables allowed for the removal of redundant overhead structures and wires through the station area. The structural frame for the main entrance was installed in April and will provide a visual focal point for customers when leaving the shopping centre and making their way through the central car park. CCTV and lighting poles have also now been installed, and the platforms are taking shape with the installation of the Protective Service Officers building and communications equipment room. In the coming months the team will focus on fitting out the buildings, installing platform services for water, power, communications and sewerage system, as well as constructing the station forecourt area.
Station entrance works
Works to improve the thoroughfare between the station and the Westfield shopping centre car park are now in progress. This will include kerb and channel works, drainage improvement works, pedestrian walkways, pram ramps, tactiles, new signage and line marking. Work to construct the forecourt area and complete the station entrance will also be completed in the coming months. Current upgrade works to the Frankston line
There is plenty of activity along the Frankston line at the moment, with works being carried out on a number of other projects.
Three month look ahead
Below is a snapshot of planned construction activities taking place over the next few months.
- Continuation of station entrance and forecourt works.
- Installation of station privacy screens on both platforms will continue.
- Painting the station buildings.
- Operational Control Services, including CCTV and speakers, and services installation works.
- Asphalting of platforms.
- Completion of station entry and forecourt works, including pedestrian walkway and signage.
- Installation of bicycle hoops in forecourt area.
- Removal of some site offices from the Westfield shopping centre car park.
- Installation of station furnishings, including seating, myki machines and signage.
- Architectural finishes to the station.
Southland Station signalling works – Completion: Late 2017
These works allow for the appropriate upgrade to signals and trackside signalling infrastructure in order to introduce new train patterns that include stopping at Southland Station.